Wednesday, April 15, 2009

slightly BOOKISH

So a lot has been going on here. Not only is my work currently in the Student Show in the Cal Poly Art and Design Department, but my work is also in slightly BOOKISH at the Robert E. Kennedy Library, Learning Commons 2nd floor and Rm. 409 on the Cal Poly campus. The exhibition’s goals are to promote the library’s fine printing and graphic arts collection and demonstrate how book art is incorporated into Cal Poly’s curriculum. Work on display will include local presses and artists, current student (thats me!) and faculty work, work by alumni, and printing ephemera and artifacts from the Shakespeare Press Museum at Cal Poly.

I was very excited to find out I had been included in the show and even more excited that out of all the books, some how a little blurb about my book was included in an article promoting the show in the new times.
“It’s hard to showcase something that it’s hard to define,” acknowledged Trujillo. “These exceed the vision of what a book is.” Some have no text whatsoever, as in the case of a wallet filled with Morton’s salt that mimics the sound of rain. Many expand and contract, accordion-style. Binding might consist of a make-up compact, apron, or vintage python skin. Each book is cradled in its own box, buffered, acid-free, and often custom-built. The department possesses more than 700 such books, an estimated 10 percent of which will be included in the exhibit.
Oh, almost forgot, my book "when it rains it pours" is the book in the show. Click HERE for the complete New Times SLO article.

1 comment:

Bootzilla said...

Hey! I just read your comment! I haven't heard back from Pixar yet, but it's only been a week since the deadline for the art internship. I see you've applied for the graphic art one, and have applied... 3 times?? Good luck to you too (3rd time's the charm)!