Sunday, January 18, 2009

"The Unconventional Oddities of San Luis Obispo"



I have a favor to ask - but it should be fun, so don’t worry!
I am working on my Senior Project to get the heck outta Cal Poly, and I need a little help.

I’ll try to make this short and sweet.

The Project:

The goal of my project is to compile and illustrate and short book titled, “The Unconventional Oddities of San Luis Obispo.” Basically a travel guide to the Downtown area of San Luis Obispo, possibly the whole city and outlying areas. This would not be your average guide. My guide will be a detailed adventure to the side of our famed “SLO” town that even some “SLOcals” may be unaware of. The guide will highlight the many quirky objects, architectural details, history, and secrets that sadly get overlooked by many. Now is their time to shine!

Currently I have set my bar at making the book at least 64 pages but I would love to make it bigger. The only way I can do that is with a little luck and help from friends. So that’s why I have asked for your help.

So, What I Need From You:

What fun, slightly (or completely) not normal things in the City of San Luis Obispo you know of. I would love to site everyone in the book that helps me, let me know if you don’t want to be sited. I will need...

Your full name (how I can reach you too... This of course will not be released)
Brief description of the oddity
Where the “oddity” is (address or at least cross streets, please)
What do know about it (history or anything)
Do you have a personal story that goes with it (maybe you had your first kiss there, something spooky happened there, etc.)
Why you think it deserves “nomination”.

And a little idea of what I have I have so far...

(I have a few more but they are secrets!)

1. Weathervane on the Court House
2. Wall Behind the Historical Society - Supposedly used to be part of the Mission?
3. Sycamore Street (Now Walnut Street) - History
4. Ramona Station - ( dunno if it will be included )
5. Door to No Where - Side of Muzio’s Deli
6. Hitching Post - on Islay St.
7. “M” - What it Really Stands For
8. Palm Theater - Only Solar Powered Movie Theater in the US
9. Geo Cache - Altoids Box in the Mission.
10. Bear - Behind Bars on the Creek
11. Gorilla - At McClintocks Downtown
12. Mo-Tel
13. Hidden Details - On the J.P. Andrews Bldg.

This is just a start and I need alot more to really get rolling, the things can be anything sculptures, paintings, murals, architecture, hidden secrets, stories, the invisible, etc.

No comments: