Monday, July 27, 2009

did i mention i love plastic bags?

earlier in the year, around february i created an interesting piece in was a poster/framed collage of different color plastic bags cut into shapes and then melted together via use of a iron. trust me i had the thought, "this can't be to good for me, since the smell of burning plastic is kinda strange." oh well after a few experiments and about an hour of carefully ironing everything together... after way more practice than that.

well the point of this post however was to share some work from :Virginia Fleck: an artists from Austin, Texas. I posted a few of her images below but really please check out her site because her work is lovely. the prints and colors from so many bags inspired me to try this type of art for a class project. my piece resembled her work but my finished piece was a square and looked a lot more crinkled. i ironed a little long giving the work some bubbles and imperfections. it worked in the long run because the idea was to make it look more like trash trying to be beauty then giving it the full make over and turning into high art. anyways check out Ms. Fleck, I would love to see the work in person sometime to see the texture of the finished work.

p.s. if you want some help learning how to iron plastic grocery bags... i learned by reading this post. also i will try and find an image of my final piece. me digging up this link reminded me i never got it back after it was in the case, it was in there soo long, i don't even remember if or when it came down. woops. lets hope its still around.



No comments: